The Universal Periodic Review (UPR) is a mechanism of the Human Rights Council (HRC) which is an intergovernmental body made up of 47 states, to review how far the members of the United Nations follow the Human Rights. (All About The Universal Periodic Review (UPR) by SUHAKAM)
The UPR reviews all 192 United Nations (UN) Member States over a four-year cycle. The process consists of several steps. The review takes place at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Improvement of human rights of the people.
- How far does the state fulfil the obligations and commitments of human rights, assessment of positive development and problems that are faced by the States in fulfilling the obligations.
- Enhance the State’s capacity and technical assistance, in consultation with, and with the consent of, the State concerned.
- Sharing the best practice of human rights among States and other stakeholders.
- Support for cooperation in promotion and protecting of human rights.
- Encourage full cooperation and engagement with the HRC, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and other human rights bodies.
Recommendations are the final results of the UPR
process, and are included in the final report. Although the recommendations are
not binding, they act as a set of commitments by the State to improve the protection
and promotion of human rights in their country. These recommendations will
serve as benchmarks to the State, on what it must achieve until the next UPR
- COMANGO And Human Rights (ahmadalijetplane.wordpress.com)
- United Nations Human Rights Council’s UPR(ahmadalikarim.wordpress.com)
- PPMM’s NGI Round Table Discussion On UPR Human Rights Council 2013
Pingback: Congratulations JAKIM on Khutbah Jumaat, ‘Menangani Konsep Kebebasan’ | Ahmad Ali JetPlane
Pingback: Congratulations JAKIM on Khutbah Jumaat, ‘Menangani Konsep Kebebasan’ | Ahmad Ali Karim's Weblog